Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Reflections - Travis

“I never worry about tomorrow, it will be good because it’s in God’s hands,”-Haiti Project Director Moise Vaval w/Global Orphans Project.

If only we could live by that principle more often; we get caught up in what the world has to offer and what we have to get done.

My first day back I feel like the world is ran by a watch. So many things to do, so little time. Haiti- so much time, seemingly so little for these children of God to do. We are not much different then them. We both hunger, one for worldly possessions, one for something to eat. That is... for food or more of God’s love. It’s not hard to decide what category I fall into most of the time.

The children of St Louis de Sud are pure. Little of the world’s distractions allow them to steer off their ability to feel God’s love for them. They just want to be touched. They want to touch you, the hair on your head, the smoothness of your skin, the shape of your nose, the hair on your arms, the color your skin makes when it’s pushed with a forceful finger. They brush the slightest speck of dirt off my skin when it shouldn’t be there. They are eager to get water from the well to wash my hands when I get them dirty AND THEY DON’T EVEN KNOW ME. I think “I am different then them”

Upon returning, I noticed most prominently the feel of the soft carpet between my toes. Flipping a light switch, turning the knob for some warm running shower water. Clean sheets and surfaces that I’m certain are free from possible harmful bacteria and bugs. A comfortable seat, cool air and the warm breeze available at my discretion. Eating whatever, whenever I want. Nothing at all common with our kids at St Louis de Sud. They have each other. Most importantly they have the Hope of eternal life with God.

Shame on us and all our wants. God will bless those who bless others. I have been blessed by children who can’t speak MY language, don’t know when to smile at a camera or laugh when I’m trying to be funny. By our measure, they have very little. I believe I couldn’t be any more wrong. How is that possible? All things are possible through Christ. They truly have everything because their hope is placed in their savior Jesus Christ and not the promise this world has to offer. I never want to forget that; what little but how much they truly have. Love, Hope, Mercy, Peace, Provision. They’ve taught me to count my blessings. I knew I was much more fortunate than them but I see now that as they wake up every day, they need a meal or two and water and the rest is in God’s hands. They have very few worries (so I think), God has provided for them without the need of idols and things we love to gather. That is something far more powerful then I may ever understand in my lifetime.

I met a little girl, her simplicity, her innocence, her smile, her openness to just be loved touched me for the rest of my life. Rose Darling. I think of her often. I layed her down in a bed after she fell asleep in my arms Sunday before we left. She wouldn’t wake up. That was our goodbye. I think it was better that way. I believe God intended for her to be at peace sleeping instead of watching us all drive off into the world they do not know about.

I will not forget the closeness of our team. I was fortunate to experience this mission alongside my wife. I will miss you all and the experiences we had together! We relied on each other, lifted each other up, became vulnerable to one another, endured together, prayed together and loved together. Thank you for the laughs and the memories I’ll have forever.

Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment