Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Reflections - Heather

It’s so hard to explain a different world. I was only there 4 days ago, and I feel memories slipping away. While in Haiti, I wouldn’t have thought that possible. The sights, smells and sounds seemed too vivid to fade. My window to their world was small, but they seem to be such kind, beautiful people. I was overwhelmed with the chaos of transportation, the endless poverty, the destruction of the earthquake, the mountains of trash, seeming idleness, but at the same time the landscape is breathtaking, their buildings, vehicles, clothing are all in vibrant colors, and their overall disposition seemed like one of peace.
We had such a dramatic story the first night. I’m surprised by people’s lack of enthusiasm when I retell it, but God really did mean it for us. If anyone had any doubts about the trip, God stepped in on day one to strip those away. His mighty hand was so evident in each detail of that evening. As the men were pushing our waterlogged bus down the road, I remember just giggling because I felt so loved!
Our time at the orphanage was slow and sweet. Slow doesn’t mean boring because the time moved quickly. We just were able to BE with them all week. Working, singing, playing, holding, hugging. I have no doubt that God places His love in our hearts to pass out. I wasn’t sure how I could spend 5 days with strangers with whom I could barely communicate. But upon arrival, I knew it wouldn’t be a problem, especially for the kids. They long to be held and touched. I love how they looked into our faces. It felt really important. Our interaction with the adults came slower, but it came! I left feeling like I could easily return as a friend.
Our team arrived as an eclectic, randomly gathered bunch, and we left loving eachother. You know that’s only by God’s hand as well. We all came together desiring somehow to please Him, and he truly blessed all our time together. It was wonderful! We had a lot of fun.
You know how it’s hard to explain God? Maybe that’s why I’m having a hard time explaining this trip to people. It was kinda other-worldly. Not because I was overtaken by the Holy Spirit and saw white lights or anything. God is still working with me as it relates to the trip. I don’t have the right words or enough knowledge to describe what He’s doing in Haiti or in me. I was able to see a glimpse of His power and care, so now it feels so much easier to trust his mighty power and perfect care for Haiti and me.

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment