Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Reflections - Jake

This was my first overseas mission trip, and I had no idea what I was getting in to. I really had no idea what is was going to be like in Haiti, and had no expectations. For me, it had always been tough to look at pictures of people in poverty or orphans and really think of them as people, sacred to God (Psalm 49:7). But that week made everything so real to me. The devastation in Port au Prince hit me hard, and our orphans were so human and longed for affection like I've never seen. Just a smile in their direction would make their faces light up with joy, and to hold them in your arms meant so much to them.
In that way, they're like us. We share their desire for love, and we all must turn to God to satisfy it fully. But, the main difference is that here in America, we can turn to many things to take the place of God in our lives, such as sports, TV, school, or even our own family.
However, most Hatians have nothing to turn to besides Him, which produces devout followers and radical Christians.
I want to thank LCF for providing me this opportunity. This was huge for my faith and very encouraging, and I hope that you have an opportunity to go. You won't come back the same person. God bless!

Jake

No comments:

Post a Comment