Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Reflections - Cameron

What a trip! God was so providential, blessed us in so many ways, and gave us the pleasure of being agents of his love and mercy over and over! One thing that I will probably never forget about the trip is, of course, the river incident. God was so sovereign and amazing there, it was such a humbling experience to be under his hand! The orphans will always hold a special place in my heart. I hope one day, LORD willing, I can go back to see them again. The love I feel so deeply for them is so inadequate compared to the love with which God loves us, which has been very encouraging to me these last few days. The things that are standing out in my memory right now are the contentedness that the Haitian people have, and how amazing the body of Haitian believers is. The Haitians have nothing. Absolutely nothing, and yet, those who know and love Jesus there are some of the happiest people in the world due to the treasure they have in Him. We would do well to follow their example and break our bondage to prosperity and stuff by following Paul’s example when he said, “Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ.” (Phil. 3:8) Too often we fall into the snare of being satisfied with our stuff, instead of solely in Christ. We fulfill the words of God in Deuteronomy 31:20 far too often. We are blinded to and forgetful of the glory of Christ because of all our stuff. The Haitian body of believers is so simple, yet so joyful. For worship we simply clapped, raised hands, and sung loudly. Not many American churches would be sustained by such simple, yet wondrous, praise. We would tend to complain that the lights, sound, instruments, or whatever isn’t working the way we think it should be. Still processing a lot, and I’m sure this is just the beginning, but God is providential and will bring light in the darkness and much discernment! Thanks for all the prayers!
Cam

No comments:

Post a Comment