Saturday, July 17, 2010

Reflections - Jody

How do I even begin to write a reflection on a week that has changed me forever… I must start by giving thanks and praise to our God, and creator, for he orchestrated the whole event.

When I committed to going on this trip I wondered what I had gotten myself into. I was excited and apprehensive at the same time. On so many levels, the trip was way out of my comfort zone - I didn’t really know anyone else going; I have never been to a foreign country or where English wasn’t the primary, or even secondary language; and at 53, I’m pretty use to the comforts of air-conditioning, electricity, hot water & toilets… I tried to assure myself that this was God’s will and everything else would to fall in place. It did.

As we exist the airplane in Port au Prince the phrase, “Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore” hit me. Not because of the beauty, as in the Wizard of Oz, but because of the chaos, congestion, noise and lack of any language I recognized. As we drove through PAP, an overwhelming feeling of despair and sadness went through me. Our focus for the week was suppose to be ‘hope’ but with what I was seeing; I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to feel it. Children walking barefoot over piles of debris, tents everywhere amongst the ruble, and people bathing or fixing a meal right on the edge of the street; even during the pouring down rain. Feeling this way is why I think the events over the next couple of hours were so crucial to our spiritual journey.

As we continued on the wild bus ride toward Les Cayes, a ride that would rival the most adventurous theme parks; we encountered the now infamous river crossing. We found ourselves stuck in the middle of a flash flood, pitch black except for the lights from other trucks and buses plowing past us. Our van dies halfway through the river, water up to the floor, sparks flying up in the cabin. We didn’t know if it would continue to rise and cause the van to topple over or not, so we decided it was best to evacuate. One by one we cautiously (with help) made it through the rushing water and up to the bridge that had been condemned due to the earthquake. We stood there amazed, confused and thoroughly convicted of the fact that things were totally out of our control. In an instant our group truly became a team at God’s mercy. A short time later, after we had joined hands in praise & prayer, a woman called me over to her car – in English- and asked if we needed help. The rest is now history, but for me, this was a crucial part of our trip. God was telling me unmistakably: TRUST ME, I AM IN CHARGE- NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!

The people we met in Haiti were amazing. From Marie and her family that worked so hard at a moment’s notice to make us comfortable (even taking the mattress off of their bed), to the women at Pastor Louis’ in Les Cayes, that went above and beyond to feed and care for us, to the children and their caregivers… Oh the children. These kids live in conditions that we couldn’t even imagine, yet they have so much joy and love. Their smiling faces, their laugh, their touch, and their absolute trust, just made you love them instantly.

We were able to see how our support was allowing these children to survive and helping to teach them about God. Though God was working through us; he was also working through them. God worked through the children to teach us the simplicity of true faith without all of the distractions. Trust in God for all of your daily needs. They live this way every moment of their lives.

We didn’t completely understand each other through language, but that didn’t alter the bond we felt. Each of us in our team made special connections. It was like God placed a child in our heart and they will never be forgotten (whether we say their name right or not). Josue was mine. I love him so much and I believe I will think about him the rest of my life. But there was also Roseline (hopefully she will either be a teacher or the next president of Haiti), Jeny, Judson, Dorson, Andersline, Jerry, Benson, Rodrigson, John, Jeff, Dieunika... too many to name and each have a special place in my heart. I can’t wait to see and hold them again.
The work our church and others are doing in Haiti is not in vain. God’s spirit there is strong and he is working through Christians to help make things right. Through the Haitian plight, God has called us to step out of our comfort zone and look at what really matters. Maybe not by ‘our’ standards, but Gods. Not in our timeframe, but His.

I learned that like the Haitians, I too need to become skilled at trusting God with all of my needs and concerns… To simply make myself available to Him.

Jody Fowler

No comments:

Post a Comment