Thursday, January 10, 2013

God is exalted!


In the midst of our confusion and feelings of inadequacy and lack of progress, God is exalting himself among the nations (Psalm 46:10)! The day started with great fun playing with the children from school during their break.  Some kids figured out that they could jump on my back by standing on the railing; we hit the ground once, but having six kids hanging on you at once is totally worth it! After break Ashley scraped paint off the floor in the children's home.  Rick and Micah (with some help from the women) attempted to install the pedestal sinks but discovered that the plumbing was inconsistent, which resulted in a road block.  They would not admit it, but they have made great progress amidst several road blocks.  The men also installed the utility sink after Rick re-plumbed it.  It is not yet functional but it is in place and will be functional tomorrow! Tami and I screwed light bulbs in the children's home.  Peterson and Orlondo were in the bedroom when I screwed in the first bulb and tried to convince me to get down from the bed but then I flipped the switch and the light came on.  An unforgettable grin came across both of their faces and they ran to give me a huge hug.  We do not work the praise of men, but praise from orphans for light bulbs is powerful.  The kids seemed a bit more tired today so the play time was less intense but that resulted in lots of time simply loving on children.  A little boy whose name I cannot pronounce was hanging out in the children's home this morning.  He didn't engage with anyone so I went over to him and he kind of sat on my lap.  Then he looked at me, looked down, looked at me, then peed his pants.  Orlondo, who is 10, jumped into my arms at noon when school got out.  He placed his head on my shoulder and was asleep shortly after. I rotated between holding other children in my other arm.  I always feel so unworthy to have the privilege of holding orphans like that because they are so near to God's heart.  Orlondo held tight until it was time for us to leave the children's home around 3:30.  Erica had a couple children nap on her lap as well. Micah spent a good portion of the day at a hardware store again but progress is coming.  Today was Janese and Erica's last day of teacher training.  It has been a great learning experience.  The teachers were excited about adding teaching tools to their classrooms.  Janese felt like the teachers' appreciation and excitement level increased throughout the training and resulted in a deep feeling of partnership with the school.  The women tried to decorate the teacher's rooms but struggled getting anything to stick on the walls.  The frustration was slightly overwhelming but the verse of the day was a great encouragement.  The team had a great time of reflection on the day and attempts to better anything possible tonight.  God willing, the men will finish some projects in the children's home while the women move rubble tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment