Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Day Three

Learning obedience through long suffering?

We woke up today with a breakfast ready at the table and my mind hoping to prepare itself for a long day of work ahead. I’d be lying if I said I was eager to work today. Yesterday seemed to be a never ending spiral of lifting buckets, slinging concrete and more of the same. Today wasn’t any different. Rick and John determined that we had lifted somewhere in the vicinity of 35,000 kilograms (approx. 12 tons) of cement today, whether it be in buckets, moving cinder blocks or 95 lb. bags of concrete mix. This all sounds like it was so much to bear and just how hard we’re working. Sometimes I’ve even thought that I’m worthy of something because I’m working “so hard” for God’s Kingdom. Yet, these Haitian men we work along-side, do it day in and day out, don’t complain, and I imagine oftentimes work a day’s wages for just something to eat. I read a scripture verse a few nights ago and it helped provide some fuel for me to put things into perspective. Hebrews 5:8 “although he was a son, he learned obedience through what he suffered.” How much are we willing to suffer for the cause of Christ and what is the purpose of that suffering? I appreciate my job compared to what our Haitian brothers do daily. I appreciate the technology after seeing such primitive ways of getting the job done (sometimes better than what I’d see in the states). I appreciate my wife among the most, but have I really suffered? Do the aches in my back, neck and feet count? That is certainly not the suffering He speaks of. I pray that God teaches me the suffering he was talking about before our week is finished because in our weakness He is made strong and I need some more Christ in my life. In our suffering, God’s sovereignty can reign even truer.

God is an awesome God. Scott spoke a great word tonight of how “awesome” we think things are. There is only one thing that is awesome, the one true God. It IS awesome how Jesus Christ rings in the hearts of those that live in such poverty. Their worship is true and I feel they are so grateful for what Jesus did for them. I find myself often worshipping and so quickly change to thinking what is for lunch or when do the Chiefs play. I am certainly not worthy of anything more than death.

We stayed today and washed up at the church to save on time so that we could be ready for service this evening. We just finished up dinner a short while ago (around 8:45), François made a delicious bullion soup (meat, potatoes, dumplings, plantain). With my belly full it is now time to follow the routine of getting ready for bed on a mattress in a cool room because I have no other distractions to worry about here. If only I had the opportunity to suffer as Christ did. We got to eat when so few others have.

I enjoy the fellowship of my brothers here. Our Haitian brothers have been so patient with our inexperienced mud-slinging. They understand that we know just how bad we are and they are okay with it. If I have learned anything, it is that. It’s not how good or bad we do something but how we can love others in a way that makes them a better person. We appreciate your prayers.

God bless you,
Travis

No comments:

Post a Comment